Preservation Through Operation

Museum & Heritage Centre

Scottish Fire Brigades Heritage Trust Museum & Heritage Centre
The Old Fire Station Dalrymple Street, Greenock. PA15 1LY

A Visit Scotland 4 Star Attraction

Our museum is located within the Old Fire Station on Dalrymple Street, which is part of the Municipal Buildings in Greenock.  The entrance to the museum is on Wallace Place just off of Dalrymple Street.

It is also conveniently located close to Greenock Central Railway Station and is within walking distance.

Walking directions to Museum from Greenock Central Railway Station

From the station ticket office, proceed down Station Avenue across the Square to the statue of the horse. Turn left and walk west along past the Job Centre and just before you get to Wallace Place the Museum is on your left and the entrance is through the middle black doors.

To book a visit

Email: museum@sfrheritagetrust.org

Call: 07789 923449

Travel Information: Traveline

Open 12 to 4pm Last Sundays. Saturday 10th September 10 to 4pm, Sunday 11th September 12 to 4pm. Cruise ship days 10 to 4pm.

Doors Open Weekend : Saturday 10/9/2022 10 to 4pm and Sunday 11/9/2022 12 to 4pm

For full Museum and Heritage Centre Opening Times and Events Please See Our Events Page

SFRS Fire Museum Opening Dates 2022

24 April 2022Last Sunday 
5 May 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3THURSDAY
7 May 2022EMERALD PRINCESSSATURDAY
13 May 2022MSC MAGNIFICASATURDAY
15 May 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3SUNDAY
17 May 2022JEWEL OF THE SEASTUESDAY
18 May 2022COSTA FAVOLOSAWEDNESDAY
20 May 2022SPIRIT OF DISCOVERYFRIDAY
22 May 2022CELEBRITY APEXSUNDAY
24 May 2022JEWEL OF THE SEASTUESDAY
27 May 2022EMERALD PRINCESSFRIDAY
29 May 2022           Last Sunday 
6 June 2022NORWEGIAN STARMONDAY
8 June 2022EMERALD PRINCESSWEDNESDAY
12 June 2022JEWEL OF THE SEASSUNDAY
13 June 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3MONDAY
15 June 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTEWEDNESDAY
20 June 2022EMERALD PRINCESSMONDAY
21 June 2022SIRENATUESDAY
26 June 2022Last Sunday 
28 June 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTETUESDAY
2 July 2022EMERALD PRINCESSSATURAY
4 July 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTEMONDAY
12 July 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTETUESDAY
14 July 2022EMERALD PRINCESSTHURSDAY
19 July 2022JEWEL of the SEAS/SIRENATUESDAY
22 July 2022AZAMARA QUESTFRIDAY
23 July 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3SATURDAY
26 July 2022EMERALD PRINCESSTUESDAY
27 July 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTEWEDNESDAY
30 July 2022ARCADIASATURDAY
31 July 2022  Last Sunday 
3 August 2022ISLAND PRINCESSWEDNESDAY
6August 2022EMERALD PRINCESSSATURDAY
13 August 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3SATURDAY
15 August 2022CARNIVAL PRIDEMONDAY
16 August 2022AIDA BELLATUESDAY
18 August 2022EMERALD PRINCESSTHURSDAY
19 August 2022AZAMARA QUESTFRIDAY
24 August 2022JEWEL OF THE SEASWEDNESDAY
26 August 2022MEIN SCHIFF 3FRIDAY
28 August 2022   Last Sunday 
31 August 2022EMERALD PRINCESSWEDNESDAY
1 September 2022COSTA FORTUNATHURSDAY
2 September 2022SPIRIT OF ADVENTUREFRIDAY
8 September 2022CELEBRITY SILHOUETTETHURSDAY
10/9 & 11/9Doors Open Days   Saturday & Sunday
12 September 2022EMERALD PRINCESSMONDAY
13 September 2022OCEAN MAJESTYTUESDAY
16 September 2022DISNEY MAGICFRIDAY
24 September 2022EMERALD PRINCESSSATURDAY
25 September 2022  Last Sunday 
6 October 2022EMERALD PRINCESSTHURSDAY
23 October 2022ZENITHSUNDAY
30 October 2022  Last Sunday 
27 November 2022     Last Sunday 
 Not open last Sunday in December as it is Christmas Day. 

Museum and Heritage Centre Opened 28th June 2012

SFR Heritage Trust Museum Greenock
SFR Heritage Trust Museum Greenock

At 11:30am on the morning of June 28th 2012, Councillor Joe Lowe Convener of the Strathclyde Fire Board opened the Museum and Heritage Centre.

Strathclyde Fire & Rescue Chief Officer Brian Sweeney and many distinguished guests gathered at the “Old Greenock Fire Station” to celebrate the completion of the Museum & Heritage Centre project.Following years of discussions and planning, the long awaited Museum finally opened its doors and life once again returned to this magnificent Victorian building.

Chief Officer Sweeney spoke of the surreal experience of visiting the newest of the Service’s buildings, which is the very recently opened Fire Service Training Centre in Cambuslang one day, to the contrast of visiting the very oldest of the service’s buildings, the Museum the very next day.

The old Fire Station has lain empty for some 52 years now and the building is basically as it was when the Fire Station closed its doors for the last time all those years ago. The building has many original features including hose racks, cobble stones, concrete runs for the horses and also still has the original oak doors.  Even the actual gas lamp fittings are still mounted on the walls.

With a little imagination, you can picture the flickering of the lamps as those brave firefighters went about there daily routines each and every day, always ready and willing to lay there own lives on the line to protect the townsfolk of the Greenock area.

Two Minutes of Silence by Peter O’Neill

This print of the inspirational painting by Peter O’Neill was kindly gifted to the Preservation Group in December 2012 by Peter and Noelle O’Neill. The Preservation Group Wishes to express our sincere thanks to Peter and Noelle for this wonderful donation.

A little about the Painting and The Artist

Peter began as a street artist doing pencil portraits just 16 years ago on the streets of Saint Augustine Florida and now owns three galleries in the South East of America.  He hails from Staten Island New York and like many many others, was directly impacted by the horrific events of the 9/11 atrocity.  Peter’s original oil painting was auctioned for $20,000 on October 10th 2001.  The Original now hangs in the Fire Fighters Museum in New York City.

100% of the proceeds from the sale of the original was donated to the New York City Fireman and Emergency Service Relief Fund.

The O’Neill gallery has donated over 14,000 lithographs of the “Two Minutes of Silence” to Fire Departments, Police Departments and Emergency Service Stations. Their intention is to donate, with the support of the public, to every station throughout the United States of America.

The Fire Marks

The Nisbet Family at the Fire Marks Handover Ceremony at The Scottish Fire Service Training College at Gullane

The Fire Marks displayed here reflect the dramatic origins of the fire insurance industry over 200 years ago.

The Great Fire of London in 1666 highlighted the need for some form of compensation to be paid to people who had property lost or damaged in fires in the city and 1680 saw the creation of the first fire insurance company “The Fire Office”, later known as The Phoenix.

The Phoenix had its own fire brigade which would tackle fires in premises which bore the company’s mark, signifying that the buildings’ owners had paid for fire cover.

Soon, rival insurers with their own brigades were set up. Competition became so fierce that when insurance brigades discovered that burning buildings did not carry their mark, the firemen sometimes stood back, taunted or even hindered the firemen belonging to the authorised insurer’s brigade.

Fire marks displayed the Insurance Companies’ emblems or names and policy numbers. Marks were originally made of lead, followed in the 1800’s by copper and then iron and tin.

These fire marks belonged to Alexander Nisbet, Firemaster of Lanarkshire Fire Brigade until he retired in 1962. The collection was displayed for a time in the Scottish Fire Service Training College at Gullane and is now shown here courtesy of Firemaster Nisbet’s family.

Alexander Nisbet – Firemarks Collection

Fire Marks On Display Courtesy of the Nisbet Family Firemaster Alexander Nisbet

Alexander Nisbet joined the Glasgow Fire Brigade in February 1929 and eventually attained the rank of Firemaster of Coatbridge.

When the National Fire Service (NFS) was formed in 1941 he served as Fire Force Commander in the Dundee and Highland areas. He was awarded the George Medal for bravery within two days of being temporarily attached to the London Fire Brigade. For the story of his courageous actions in London, click on the Fire Mark at the bottom of this page.

In 1947 he became the first Firemaster of the newly formed Lanarkshire Fire Brigade and was instrumental in the building of the new headquarters in Hamilton, which is now the HQ for Strathclyde Fire & Rescue. He was awarded the MBE and OBE.

During his time he collected Fire Marks and formed one of the largest private collections in UK. When he retired in 1962, he donated them to the Fire Service College Gullane. With the Fire Museum & Heritage Centre opening, the Nisbet family generously donated the collection to the Museum & Heritage Centre for public display.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service along with the Heritage Trust wishes to express our sincere gratitude to the Nisbet Family for allowing this world class collection to be shown in the Scottish Fire and Rescue Museum and Heritage Centre.