This appliance was ordered by Western Area Fire Brigade in 1956 and stationed at Rothesay on the Isle of Bute. It was withdrawn from service in the 70’s and replaced by Water Tender Escape YHS 151H. From 1976 it was used by Barrhead Retained until 14th August 1980 when the Barrhead Retained Unit was disbanded due to budgetry cuts.
The F12 had a Rolls Royce straight eight cylinder B80 Mark X 5.7 litre 195 bhp engine which could attain a speed of 60 mph in 40 seconds. It had vacuum servo assisted hydraulic brakes on all wheels, and a wheelbase of 150 inches, 12 inches shorter that the F7 which it superceded. Between 1950 and 1959 336 F12’s were built by Dennis at their Guildford factory.
The Preservation Group was asked by Strathclyde Fire Brigade to take on the vehicle for restoration and in August 2004 it arrived at Greenock Fire Station. It remained there in storage until suitable premises were eventually found in which to continue with the restoration of this classic fire appliance.
© Scottish Fire Brigades Heritage Trust
Registered Scottish Charity (SC043929)